In 2012, Intuit released a tool called the file doctor tool for their QuickBooks software. The launch of this tool was a result of the errors or technical glitches that QuickBooks users faced everywhere when they operated this accounting software. After the launch, the file doctor tool was incorporated in QuickBooks 2016. It also was a prominent part of the later versions that Intuit developed. The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is specially developed for the users of this accounting software. It combines Network Diagnostic Tool and the Company File Diagnostic Tool. It is very helpful as it identifies errors and resolves them automatically. However, a majority of QB users are unfamiliar with this valuable tool that they have at their disposal. That’s why in this post, you will get to know all about it.
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool – What Is It?
Before you delve into the varied parts of this tool, it’s a wise idea to acquaint yourself with the file doctor tool. Also called QBFD, it is a basic repairing tool that fixes errors that software users face when they operate on it. At present, it is integrated in QuickBooks 2016 and the versions after that. If you desire to update your software to the most recent version, you can go over to the QuickBooks file doctor download page on the website of Intuit.
Yet another essential point to remember is that the tool functions only for the US and UK QB versions. It is fully compatible with the various QB desktop versions developed for Windows. QuickBooks for Mac users cannot operate the tool. Now, most of you may think that it is difficult to operate it. However, it’s not the case at all. The tool is very user-friendly, and you only need to follow a simple process for operating it.
Which Errors Can the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool Fix?
Many QB users encounter trouble while opening their company files. If you are too experiencing the same problem, then you can use this tool to resolve it. Here is a list of the errors that you can easily resolve with the aid of this tool.
|Error code – 6150||Multi-user mode glitches.|
|Error code – 6000-301||Data corruption issues.|
|QuickBooks Update Error.||Unable to launch QB company file.|
|Error code – 6000-82||QuickBooks Error H202|
|6000 series errors||QB error code – 6000-305|
|Corrupt Windows registry.||Installation issues|
|Bugs related to QB database server manager.||QuickBooks error 6147|
|Different kinds of H series errors.||Damaged company files.|
|Network issues||Malware attack on the hard drive.|
|Badly configured Firewall port.||Blank or missing customer or vendor.|
|QuickBooks file repair||QB error code H505|
What to Remember When Planning to Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
There are certain points that every user who utilizes this tool should keep in mind. They are given below.
- If you need to download the latest version of the tool, you should first uninstall the current file doctor tool that you have.
- Even though all the versions of QuickBooks that were released after 2015 have an in-built file doctor tool, it’s wise to employ the external file doctor tool.
- The file doctor can function well with all QB desktops. But note that it is only so for the Windows versions.
- If you encounter any error, you may find the file doctor tool appearing automatically. There’s no need to panic over it. All you need to do is tap ‘Start‘, and the tool will start its operation.
What are the different kinds of QB Desktop file doctor tools?
There are two types of QB Desktop file doctor tools. They are mentioned below for you to know.
- The first is the QBFD stand-alone version. This version is utilized from the server in which the QuickBooks database server manager is installed for hosting the file.
- The second is the built-in version. It can be used with QuickBooks 2016 and the versions that come after it.
What is the compatibility of the file doctor tool?
This tool is built-in for QB Desktop 2016 and the versions after it. It is compatible with all versions of QB Desktop for Windows. But the tool is not compatible with Mac versions of QB, as mentioned before.
What are the Steps to Download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
The process of Quickbooks file doctor download is quite simple. Follow the pointers below to download and install it effectively.
- Download QuickBooks tools hub. Then, press the Ctrl + J keys simultaneously.
- Now tap ‘QuickBooksToolsHub.exe.’
- Tap ‘Yes’ to agree to the license agreement.
- Tap the option of ‘Next’ and then click ‘Install.’
- After the procedure of installation completes, tap ‘Finish.’
- Tap‘ QuickBooks Tool hub.’
- Navigate to ‘Company File Issues.’ Adhere to the instructions to run QuickBooks File Doctor.
What to consider before you run QBFD?
There are specific things you need to keep in mind before you run the tool. Go through the points mentioned below.
- Before you access the tool, you should have your admin credentials.
- A speedy internet connection is imperative for the working of the tool.
- The file size has a limit of 1.5 GB. You should comply with this.
- Make sure that you have only one version of QB on your device.
- Before accessing QBFD, it is advised that you update your software to its current version.
- Only Windows OS users can access the file doctor tool.
Are there any limitations of QBFD?
There are certain limitations of QBFD that users need to know. These include:
- The company file size is below 2 GB.
- You need internet connectivity for uploading the company file.
- You also need to possess admin credentials.
- If you have various QB versions, the option of ‘Network Connectivity Diagnosis and Repair’ doesn’t function.
- If the database server manager is installed, then also the above-mentioned options will not work.
How to Run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
Running the QBFD involves a few steps. These include the following:
- Choose the ‘Company file issues’ tab.
- Choose the ‘Run QBFD’ option.
- In the ‘QuickBooks file doctor’ choose the company file from the drop-down.
- Check the option of ‘File.’ Tap ‘Continue.’
- Enter your QB admin password and tap ‘Next.’
The scan time period is based on the file size. It might take around 5 minutes. But when it finishes, open QB and the company file.
How to Use the Stand-Alone Version of QBFD?
Remember that you should possess the recent version of QBFD to use the stand-alone version. You can download it from the official Intuit website. Otherwise, just click ‘Run.’ Then follow these steps.
- Double-click the file doctor icon and follow the instructions given on your screen.
- If the tool doesn’t appear, then open via ‘Windows Task-bar.’
- Click ‘Browse’ and then ‘Find the damaged company file.’ Begin the QuickBooks file diagnostics to resolve any problem.
- You will find two options from the tools window. The options are easy to comprehend. So, you will be able to make the right decision.
- If you find a 6000 series error, then consider the first option. But if there are some network problems, consider the second one.
- Input the company file admin password and click ‘Next.’
- There will be two options, and you have to opt for one. Select the ‘Workstation’ option if you are operating, diagnosing, and troubleshooting a client’s system. Choose the ‘Server’ option if you are troubleshooting problems on the QuickBooks client system.
- Then click ‘Yes.’ If you are on the QuickBooks workstation, then select ‘No.’
- The QBFD will start repairing the company files.
- Wait for some time. This time is according to how big your company file is, your network speed, and the intensity of the issue.
- Close the tool when the process ends.
The Right Way of Using QuickBooks File Doctor Built-In Version?
The QBFD built-in feature is included in the QuickBooks versions that were launched after 2015. You can start accessing it after pressing the Start button. Follow these steps to effectively use the tool.
- Open QuickBooks. Make sure that the company file is not opened.
- Go to ‘File’ and then select the option of ‘Utilities.’
- To run the QBFD tool, choose ‘Repair file.’
- Tap on the option of ‘Browse.’ Then, select that company file that needs to be repaired. Tap‘ Open.’
- From the window of ‘Advanced Settings’, choose the kind of fix you want. Then hit ‘Next.’
- Type in the administrator’s ID and password. Then choose ‘Next.’
- After the diagnosis procedure ends, launch the company file again.
What Can You Expect After Using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
You can find several outcomes after using this tool. Given below are various probable results.
- The QBFD detects no problem – In this instance, the tool does not come up with any type of issue. In this case, you are required to log in again to the company file. If this error persists, you should set up the Auto data recovery and write the transaction till the last backup.
- QBFD troubleshoots problem – If the tool finds an issue, you should click on ‘open new company’ after the end of the process.
- QBFD detects the issue but cannot resolve the error – In this scenario, it is suggested to set up the Auto data recovery tool. You should also type in the transaction manually.
What Should You Do After Repairing QB?
After diagnosing and repairing, you are required to backup the QB company file data. You should also generate the backup data file on a hard drive.
If QBFD does not work-
Sometimes, you cannot use QBFD. This can be because you are trying to update the file or accidentally did not install any file. Follow the steps below
- Restore the QBW files backup.
- Use Auto data recovery to resolve the QBFD not working problem.
- Configuring antivirus and switching off the hosting model is another way to resolve it.
The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is quite an effective one. Now you must be aware of the errors it can fix automatically and how to download and run them. You can now use it for working with the software efficiently. Remember to always update it to the latest version to encounter minimal glitches. If you feel that you’re stuck on some technical aspect, feel free to contact the QuickBooks Error Support team for a quick solution.