In 2012, Intuit released the File Doctor Tool program for their QuickBooks software. The launch of this tool resulted from the errors or technical glitches that users faced while operating the QuickBooks. After the launch, the File Doctor Tool integrates into QuickBooks 2016. It also was a prominent part of the later versions that Intuit developed. The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is specially designed for the users of the QuickBooks Desktop version. It combines Network Diagnostic Tool and the Company File Diagnostic Tool. It is beneficial as it detects the errors in the QuickBooks Desktop and resolves them automatically. However, a majority of QuickBooks users are unfamiliar with this valuable tool. With this post, you will get to know everything about it.
QuickBooks File Doctor Tool – What Is It?
Before you dive into the varied features of this tool, it’s a wise idea to train yourself with the File Doctor Tool. Also called QBFD, it is a basic repairing tool that fixes QuickBooks errors users encounter while operating. At present, it merges with QuickBooks 2016 and the versions after that. If you desire to update your software to the latest version, visit Intuit QuickBooks File Doctor download page.
Yet another essential point to remember is that the tool functions only for the US and UK QB versions. It is fully compatible with the various QB desktop versions developed for Windows. QuickBooks for Mac users cannot operate the tool. Now, most of you may think it is challenging to use. However, it’s not the case at all. The tool is very user-friendly, and you only need to follow a simple process to operate it. It can also fix different types of errors, which we will also discuss.
List of Errors QuickBooks File Doctor Tool Can Fix?
Many QB users encounter trouble while opening their company files. If you are experiencing the same problem tool, you can use this tool to resolve it. Below is the list of the errors that you can efficiently fix with the help of this tool.
|Error code – 6150||Multi-user mode glitches.|
|Error code – 6000-301||Data corruption issues.|
|QuickBooks Update Error.||Unable to launch QB company file.|
|Error code – 6000-82||QuickBooks Error H202|
|6000 series errors||QB error code – 6000-305|
|Corrupt Windows registry.||Installation issues|
|Bugs related to QB database server manager.||QuickBooks error 6147|
|Different kinds of H series errors.||Damaged company files.|
|Network issues||Malware attack on the hard drive.|
|Badly configured Firewall port.||Blank or missing customer or vendor.|
|QuickBooks file repair||QB error code H505|
Essential Points Before Downloading the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
There are specific key points that every user should keep in mind before operating the tool. Following are.
- If you need to download the latest version of the tool, you first need to uninstall the current File Doctor Tool you have.
- The QuickBooks versions released after 2015 have an in-built file doctor tool. It is wise to download and install the File doctor tool separately from Intuit’s Official website.
- The File Doctor can function well with all QB Desktop versions. But note that it is only for the Windows versions.
- If you encounter any error, you may find the File Doctor Tool appearing automatically.
- There’s no need to panic over it. All you need to do is tap ‘Start ‘, and the tool will start its operation.
What are the Types of QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor Tool?
There are two types of QB Desktop File Doctor Tool, and they are mentioned below for you to know.
- The first is the QBFD Stand-Alone version: This version is utilized from the server in which the QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed for hosting the file.
- The second is the Built-In version: It can be used with QuickBooks 2016 and later versions.
File Doctor Tool is Compatible With?
As discussed above, this tool is built-in for QB Desktop 2016 and later versions. It is compatible with all versions of QB Desktop for Windows. But the tool is not compatible with Mac versions of QB, as mentioned before.
How to Download and Install QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
The process of QuickBooks file doctor download is quite simple. Follow the below steps to download and install the tool.
- Firstly, close all the QuickBooks running programs.
- Open your browser and Download QuickBooks Tools Hub. Then, press the Ctrl+J keys simultaneously.
- Now, tap “QuickBooksToolsHub.exe.”
- Tap on the “Yes” button to agree to the license agreement.
- After that, click on the option of “Next” and then click “Install“.
- Now, when the installation procedure completes, click on “Finish“.’
- Next tap on “QuickBooks Tool Hub“.’
- After that, go to “Company File Issues“. Follow the on-screen steps to run QuickBooks File Doctor.
How to Run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
After installing the QuickBooks Tool Hub, follow the given below steps to operate the File Doctor Tool:
- After choosing the “Company File Issues” tab from the Tool Hub, click on the “Run QBFD” option.
- Now, from the “QuickBooks File Doctor“, choose the company file from the drop-down you want to fix. If you don’t see your company file, choose Browse and Search and access it manually.
- Here, check the option of “Check Your File” and tap on “Continue“.
- At last, enter your QB admin password and tap on “Next“.
- The tool will start to scan the file, which can take up to 5 minutes.
Note: The scan time depends upon the file size.
- When the scan finishes, access the QuickBooks company file.
The above are the steps of operating the File Doctor, but before using the tool, you have to note some points mentioned in the following section.
What to Do Before Operating the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
Before using the Tool, there are some points you have to keep in mind. These are:
- Before you access the tool, you should have your admin credentials.
- A speedy internet connection is imperative for the working of the tool.
- The file size has a limit of 1.5 GB. You should comply with this.
- Make sure that you have only one version of QB on your device.
- Before accessing QBFD, it is advised that you update your software to its latest version.
- Only Windows OS users can access the file doctor tool.
How to Use the Stand-Alone Version of QBFD?
Note: Remember that you should have the recent version of QBFD to use the stand-alone version. If you don’t have it, download it from the official Intuit website. Otherwise, just click ‘Run.’ Then follow these steps.
- Firstly, double-click the File Doctor icon and follow the instructions given on your screen.
- Open it via “Windows Task-bar”; if the tool doesn’t appear.
- Now, click on “Browse” and then on “Damaged Company file“. It will begin the QuickBooks File Diagnostics to resolve any problem.
- After that, you will find two options under the File Doctor Tool window. The options are easy to operate. So, you will be able to make the right decision.
- If you find a 6000 series error, then consider the first option.
- If there are some network problems, or H-series errors such as H202, H101, H303, and H505, choose the second one.
- Enter the company file admin password here and click on “Next“.
- Again, you will see two options, and you have to opt for one.
- Select the “Workstation” option if the company file is not hosted on the client’s system.
- Choose the “Server” option if is not hosted on the QuickBooks client system.
- Then click “Yes“‘ if you are on the QuickBooks Server/Host and “No” for Quickbooks Workstation
- The QBFD will start repairing the company files.
- Wait for some time. This time is according to how big your company file is, your network speed, and the issue’s intensity.
- Close the tool when the process ends.
How to Use QuickBooks File Doctor Built-In Version?
The QBFD built-in feature is included in the QuickBooks versions launched after 2015. You can start accessing it after pressing the Start button. Follow these steps to effectively use the tool.
- Open QuickBooks. Make sure that the company file is not opened.
- Then, go to “File” and select the option of “Utilities“.
- Now, to run the QBFD tool, choose “Repair File“.
- After that, tap on the option of “Browse“. Then, select that company file that needs to be repaired. Tap “Open“.
- From the “Advanced Settings” window, choose the kind of fix you want. Then hit “Next“.
- Then, enter the administrator’s ID and Password and click on “Next“.
- After the diagnosis procedure ends, relaunch the company file.
Essential Points Related to QBFD Built-In Version
- The Built-in version is used for CA, US, and UK QuickBooks versions.
- QBFD tool is also used for network repair and diagnosis. For this, the QuickBooks program should be available on the system which runs the internal File Doctor Tool.
- It is also used to repair the data and files. For this, it is not compulsory to install the QuickBooks.
- It is compatible with the version of Windows 7, 8, 10, and Server 2003-2012.
- The QBFD toll will self-install through QuickBooks Diagnostic Tool when the .NET framework 2.0 is not present on the system.
What Can You Expect After Using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool?
You can find several outcomes after using this tool. Given below are various probable results.
- The QBFD detects no problem – In this instance, the tool does not come up with any type of issue. In this case, you are required to log in again to the company file. If this error persists, you should set up the Auto data recovery and write the transaction till the last backup.
- QBFD troubleshoots problem – If the tool finds an issue, you should click on ‘open new company’ after the end of the process.
- QBFD detects the issue but cannot resolve the error – In this scenario, it is suggested to set up the Auto data recovery tool. You should also type in the transaction manually.
What Should You Do After Repairing QB?
After diagnosing and repairing, you are required to backup the QB company file data. You should also generate the backup data file on a hard drive.
If QBFD does not work-
Sometimes, you cannot use QBFD. This can be because you are trying to update the file or accidentally did not install any file. Follow the steps below
- Restore the QBW files backup.
- Use Auto data recovery to resolve the QBFD not working problem.
- Configuring antivirus and switching off the hosting model is another way to resolve it.
The QuickBooks File Doctor Tool is quite an effective one. Now you must be aware of the errors it can fix automatically and how to download and run them. You can now use it for working with the software efficiently. Remember to always update it to the latest version to encounter minimal glitches. If you feel that you’re stuck on some technical aspect, feel free to contact the QuickBooks Error Support team for a quick solution.