QuickBooks is highly robust accounting software that the company Intuit created. The software has robust capabilities to handle transactions, manage payroll, maintain records, and carry out other accounting tasks. However, the software is also known for the various errors and glitches that occur in it. A common one is QuickBooks error code H202. This error usually happens when people are switching to the multi-user mode. Don’t worry. There are ways to resolve it. You are going to read about all these methods in detail in this guide.
What Is QuickBooks Error Code H202?
The error crops up when the user attempts to launch the company file in a multi-user mode. As a result, QuickBooks cannot perform the task it needs to. The error occurs especially when the user is trying to gain access to a file that is kept in another system.
You need to know all that can cause this error code so that you can take effective steps to resolve it. After knowing about the causes, you can better understand and implement the troubleshooting steps.
Why QuickBooks Error Code H202 Occurs?
There are plenty of causes of this error. Go through all of them that are mentioned below.
- An incorrect hosting configuration setting is the major cause behind this error code.
- The QB file setting option obstructs access to your company file. All incoming and outgoing communication gets blocked.
- Faulty .nd files configuration will also result in this error.
- When the QB software cannot search the host’s IP address, then this error arises.
- When communication doesn’t happen between the company data file and the server, it results in error H202.
- Improper or incomplete DNS setting.
- The QuickBooksDXXX/QBCF service has not commenced.
- Sometimes, a Firewall or any security application blocks the communication with the QuickBooks company file. It results in error H202.
- When you work with a company file that is present in a multi-user mode, it replicates the QB, and it cannot reach your system’s server.
Similar Problem:- Everything About QuickBooks Error H505 [Resolve IT Easily]
How to Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Error Code H202?
Given below are varied ways by which you can troubleshoot QuickBooks error H202. Before executing them, you need to sign yourself as an administrator into QuickBooks.
1. Ping your server to check the connection
To check the connection, ping the server from a workstation. You need to ping the server from every workstation that receives error H202.
Switch on network discovery on your server system
- Launch the ‘Windows Start Menu’ on your workstations and server.
- Now, in the search, enter ‘Network’ and launch ‘Network and Sharing Center.’
- Select ‘Change advanced sharing settings.’
- Make sure that you have selected ‘Turn on network Discovery’ in the ‘File and Printer Sharing and the ‘Network Discovery’ sections.
Get the name of your server from your server.
- Launch the ‘Windows Start Menu’ on your system.
- Open the ‘Run’ command.
- In the ‘Run’ window, input ‘CMD’ and tap Enter.
- In the ‘CMD’ window, enter ‘ipconfig/all’ and hit Enter.
- Look for the section of ‘Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration.’ It will be on the right side.
- When you locate it, write it down so you can get it easily when you want.
Test network connection
- Open the ‘Run’ window. Enter ‘CMD’ and tap ‘OK.’
- From your system, ping your server.
- Input ‘ping_server name’ and press Enter.
- You need to repeat the steps given above on every system that gets the error.
Read More:- How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Unrecoverable Error?
2. Verify or confirm QB services
Verifying the QB services will also allow you to troubleshoot the QuickBooks H202 error. If your server runs the full QuickBooks version, you can begin the multi-user hosting mode through these steps.
- When you are on the server, launch QB.
- Go to ‘File’ then select ‘Utilities.’
- Choose ‘Host multi-user access.’ Follow the steps below to verify and run the ‘QuickBooks DB access and QBCFMonitorService’ status on the server.
- Input ‘services.msc’ on the Run window and tap ‘OK.’
- Select ‘QuicBooksDBXX’, then check the ‘Startup’ type. Set it to ‘Automatic.’
- Make sure that the ‘Service status’ displays ‘Running.’
- Navigate to the ‘Recovery tab.’
- Navigate to the dropdown menus for the different failures and choose ‘Restart the service of all of them.’
- Hit ‘Apply’ then tap ‘OK.’
- Follow all these steps for the QBCFMonitorService.
3. Add QBCFMonitorService & QuickBooksDBXX to the Admin group.
If QuickBooksDBXX and QuickBooksMonitorService don’t have admin permission, you might face QuickBooks H202 error. So, offer both these services the Windows admin permission. Now check if you can use QB in multi-use mode.
4. Set the system firewall settings
The system firewall settings can obstruct the process of data exchange between the server and QuickBooks. Execute the steps below to configure the QuickBooks firewall settings.
- Make exceptions in the system firewall settings.
- Make modifications to system firewall permission and then launch QB on every computer.
- Choose ‘Switch to Multi-user Mode’ below the ‘File’ menu.
5. Run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
One of the best ways you can fix the H202 error QuickBooks is by using the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. It is a very dependable troubleshooting tool that Intuit has developed for people to diagnose and fix a variety of QB errors. You can use this tool for fixing errors like error codes H101, H303, H202, or H505.
To use it, you have to download it from the official website of Intuit. After that, run the tool. Follow these steps for it.
- Download the QB File Doctor tool and open it from the QuickBooks Tool Hub by choosing the company file problems.
- Choose the ‘Company file’ from the dropdown. Click ‘Browse’ to find the file if you cannot identify it.
- After that, tap the checkbox for your specific file and hit ‘Continue.’
- Lastly, input your QuickBooks admin password. After that, choose the option of ‘Next.’
- Note that the scanning time is based on the size of the file. It can easily take around 5 minutes. After the scan finishes, open your QB software and the company file.
6. Add server in the Windows host file.
You can certainly give this method a try to fix QuickBooks error H202. For it, you need to follow a series of steps that are given below.
- Exit every QuickBooks window.
- Navigate to ‘C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc.’
- Double-tap on ‘hosts file’ and choose ‘Notepad.’
- Enter the IP address and the computer’s name. And Enter the computer’s name and IP address for the server.
- Enter the server’s IP address and the computer name for a computer.
- Press the keyboard’s tab key to separate the IP address from the computer name.
- Now, launch QB in the multi-user mode.
You will now find it easier to deal with the QuickBooks error code H202. Acquaint yourself with the causes and then follow the different troubleshooting techniques. Ping your server for checking the connection. Then verify the QB services by going to the ‘Utilities’ area. Apart from that, make exceptions in the Firewall settings of your system and run the File Doctor tool to resolve the error code easily. Get QuickBooks technical support if the error code doesn’t go away.