Among several run-time errors, QuickBooks error 6189 is one of those. When it occurs, a message “an error occurs when QuickBooks tries to access the company file (-6189, -816)” appears. So what does QuickBooks error code 6189 mean?
It’s an error code from series 6000. It shows that a user tries to access, create or open a company file on a multi-user network but fails.
But, the QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 may have appeared for several reasons. It can be a company file issue or windows registry problem. But, don’t panic! If you want to learn what causes the error? And what are its solutions? Stay tuned with us!
Find Reasons for QuickBooks Error 6189 And Recognize It
Here are a couple of factors that influence the QuickBooks smooth processing. As a result of which appears the QuickBooks error code 6189 on your system.
Causes of QuickBooks error 6189:
- The installation setup of QuickBooks are either wrong or incomplete
- The company file is already in use by other users
- Not having permission to access the data or file saved in a folder
- Damaged or corrupted window registry
- Due to the difference between the exchange log (.TLG) and the organization document (.QBW)
- Accessing company files in single-user mode
- Important drivers are missing or deleted accidentally
- Missing or damaged QuickBooks file components
These are some common reasons QuickBooks error 6189 and 816 can occur.
Sign & Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6189
If you’re unable to identify the error, read below. These indications help you understand if it’s a QuickBooks error 6189 816 on your system.
- Lost connection in QuickBooks company files
- Unable to open or access the QuickBooks company files
- Get an error when attempting to open a QuickBooks file
- QuickBooks freezes or becomes unresponsive
- Gets an error when trying to open a company file with QuickBooks new version.
How to Fix the QuickBooks Error 6189 816 in Different Ways?
In this section, we’ll go over each solution for QuickBooks error code 6189 in detail. As a result, you will not get confused while applying these solutions. Also, please note that you should not use encrypted software on your PCs. If your company’s files are encrypted, feel free to contact us for assistance.
Fix 1: Restart All Your Systems and Server
Often the solution to an error like QuickBooks error 6189 816 is restarting the system. If you are facing the issue at your workstation PC or on your PC, restart all.
Besides that, also restart the server computer which is hosting your company files.
After restarting, open QuickBooks desktop on your server computer. And also on each workstation.
Fix 2: Download And Install QuickBooks Tool Hub Run
You can use the QuickBooks tool hub to resolve QuickBooks error 6189 816. But, if you have not installed it yet, no worries!. Follow the instructions below and easily install the QuickBooks tool hub.
Steps to Download QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Open QuickBooks desktop.
- Select the Help menu.
- Then, choose QuickBooks Tool Hub from the drop-down menu.
- Now, you will be redirected to the QuickBooks support portal. Thus, find a manual explaining how to use the tool hub with a download link.
Note: Please remember that the latest QuickBooks tool hub 2020 is not inbuilt in QuickBooks. Therefore, visit the official website of QuickBooks to download it.
Steps to Install QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Press windows+ J to open the download folder.
- Double-click on the QuicbooksToolHub.exe file to open it.
- Then, click on the Next button
- Read the license agreement and tap Yes to accept it.
- After that, save the QuickBooks tool hub setup file.
- Click Next.
- Now, tap on the Install button.
- After the installation process completes, tap finish.
Run the Quick Fix My Program:
- Open the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Then, tap on the Program Problems tab.
- At last, select Quick Fix My Program.
After the process is completed, open your QuickBooks desktop and data file.
Fix 3: QuickBooks Database Server Manager
When you use multi-user mode, your hosting/server computer stores the company files. Hence, if you’re hosting your own network, use a database server manager. Because it will keep your multi-user network stable and fix the error 6189.
- Launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Go to the tab Network Issues.
- Then, select QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Now, if you see your company file, click on the Start scan button.
- But, if you don’t see your company file, Browse and locate it. Then, click on the Start scan button.
- Wait for the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to repair your firewall automatically.
- After the scan completes, click on the Close button.
Now, open the server computer to see if QuickBooks error code 6189 is resolved.
Note: Please also check your workstation computer and ensure it isn’t hosting your multi-user network.
Fix 4: Rename QuickBooks Company File
The issue of QuickBooks error 6189 may occur due to the company file name. It can be that the company file name is too long or has an unacceptable character. In this case, rename the file with an extension.TLG and.ND and the issue may be removed.
- Launch the QuickBooks company file folder.
- Now, right-tap on the file.
- Then, choose the rename option.
- Rename the file as OLD.qbw.TLG
- Repeat these steps for the.ND file and rename the file to OLD.qbw.ND
- Once done, open the company file.
Fix 5: Resolve QB Error 6189 Manually
If you have the technical knowledge and are comfortable with this solution; you can resolve QuickBooks error 6189 manually.
- First, locate the transaction log file to rename it.
- Then, check for user’s permissions granted for QuickBooks application to QBDataServiceUserXX
- Next, check for the QuickBooks files. It should not be encrypted.
- Create a copy of your file and paste it onto the desktop.
- Try to open the file. If it still causes an issue, go to its original location.
Read Also- QuickBooks Error 15243
We hope this guide on QuickBooks 6189 error provides the solutions. Using these solutions, you’ll no longer face the same issue. But, please ensure your network connectivity is good and you are using the updated QuickBooks version. Nonetheless, if you again encounter the error, don’t hesitate to connect with us.