QuickBooks is all-time favorite accounting software, especially for small businesses. It has made the process of accounting and keeping records super easy. But, it is also prone to errors. Some are common but critical like QuickBooks error 6000 77. It is a common but critical error that if not fixed on time, may damage your data. Therefore, if you come across this error, you must resolve it before it gets worse.
So, if you are worried about how to fix QuickBooks error code 6000 77, we are here to help you. Follow this guide to fix the QuickBooks error.
What Precisely Is QuickBooks Error 6000 77?
Do you see a message “We’re sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem. Error codes: (-6000, -77)”, then understand that it is the same error QuickBooks error code 6000 77. The error indicates that the file is stored in the wrong folder.
The error on the screen also describes the causes and situations of occurring. In addition, you also get hints of troubleshooting suggestions following the error message.
Note: The error code may appear different to users, thus, see the error code to know it is the same error.
- QuickBooks error code 6000 77;
- QuickBooks error -6000, -77;
- QuickBooks error code (-6000, -77);
Let’s learn more about the situation and causes of the QuickBooks error -6000 -77.
Causes Of Error 6000 77 QuickBooks
- Using outdated QuickBooks software may cause the error 6000 -77.
- In case of insufficient authorization, the error may appear.
- The company file you are trying to open is damaged or missing.
- If you have stored the company file on an external drive rather than a local drive.
- You are running QuickBooks on multi-user mode and the error occurs.
READ THIS ALSO:- How to Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Error in 7 Quick Steps?
Methods to Fix the QuickBooks Error Code 6000 77
Now that you have gained an insight into QuickBooks error code (-6000, -77), you are to move forward with solutions. To help you with the error and save your time, we have also explained the Quickfix methods here:
- The most standard and proven solution is the reboot method. In the case of QuickBooks, reboot the QuickBooks software. Most probably the software doesn’t show errors after restarts.
- Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool: The tool performs the QuickBooks file recovery. Its main function is to repair damaged and corrupted files.
- Move the company file to a local drive. If you have stored the company file on any external drive, move it to a local/network drive. Then try to open the file in QuickBooks to check if the QuickBooks error code (-6000, -77) is gone.
Once you tried the following quick-fix method and still face the error, follow the detailed methods mentioned below:
1. Recreate the damaged file folder
Often, the existing folder gets infected or damaged, as a result, it causes an error. Hence, you can recreate the file folder to fix it.
- Launch windows explorer or press Windows + E keys.
- Now, move to drive C and create a new folder let’s say QBsample123.
- Double-click on the folder where the company file is located.
- Then, right-click on the .qwb extension file and copy it.
- Now, paste the file into the new folder you created a while ago.
- Thereafter, set windows to access permissions to share the company file.
- Lastly, Open the QuickBooks desktop and try to open the file from its new location.
2. Change the name of .ND and .TLG files
Changing the file extension can help you fix the error QuickBooks error code (-6000, -77); hence follow these steps:
- Go to the location where the folder is stored.
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.
- Locate the company file with an extension .ND and .TLG
- Right-click each file and rename each of them all.
- While renaming, add the extension .old at the end of each file.
3. Run QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
The QuickBooks file doctor tool is a repairing tool for damaged and corrupted files.
- Visit the intuit official website and download QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
- Install the doctor tool and run it.
- Now, select the file causing an error QuickBooks error -6000 -77.
- When prompted, enter the username and password.
- Then, reboot your system and relaunch the QuickBooks to check the error.
MORE FOR YOU:- Resolve QuickBooks Error -6190 -816 With Technicians Guide
4. Drop the Mapped Drive and Use UNC Path File
While the mapped drive is not helping anymore, drop it and use the UNC path filename to fix the QuickBooks error -6000, -77.
- Right-click on the QuickBooks application.
- Press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Now, from the drop-down list, select Run as Admin.
- And, again press and hold the Ctrl key and the No Company file window will appear.
- From here, select the open and restore the company and open the company file.
- From the left panel, select Network and locate the folder of the company file.
- Now, set the folder permissions and launch the company file.
5. Remove spaces and Special Characters from the Company file name
If you have saved the filename that contains spaces or special characters, then you may encounter the QuickBooks error -6000, -77 issue. In addition to that, it can cause many other problems in QuickBooks’ smooth functioning. Therefore, you need to check the name and remove unwanted characters from it.
- Close the QuickBooks and go to the place the company file is located.
- Now right-click on the file and then select the Rename option.
- Check the company file name and remove the blank space and special characters.
- Once, rename your file, launch the QuickBooks again.
If the problem still persists then move to the next solution given below.
6. Review the hosting settings and severe
Sometimes the QuickBooks error -6000 -77 appears due to incorrect Host multi-user settings.
Review server settings:
If your file is hosted on the central server then multi-user access is hosted. To see the multi-user settings, follow these steps:
- Launch QuickBooks.
- Select Files and then select Utility.
- Look for Stop Multi-user access. But in case you don’t see it, tune in it by clicking Host Multi-User access.
If you encounter the error QuickBooks error 6000 77 on any of your systems, then :
- Launch the QuickBooks application.
- Select File and then select Utility.
- If you see Stop Multi-User mode access, then select it and multi-user mode will stop.
7. Reinstall the entire QuickBooks software
If nothing mentioned above works out as expected, then you can reinstall the entire application. This is your last resort to fix the issue of QuickBooks error 6000 77.
The significance of the reinstalling method is that it reset all the settings. The previous files get deleted and a new file installed.
Therefore, to fix the QuickBooks error -6000 -77, follow the instruction explained here:
- Run the Quickbooks Tool Hub or download it if not installed already.
- After launching the tool, head to the Program Installation issue section.
- From there, select Quickbooks Clean Install Tool.
- Now, do as asked by on-screen instructions to reinstall QuickBooks.
- Once the QuickBooks setup is removed entirely, run the installer file.
- Follow on-screen instructions to install the new setup.
- Thereafter register the product.
- Run the QuickBooks application to check if the issue is resolved.
Need Expert Help
Coming to the end of the guide, we believe the method has helped you fix the QuickBooks error 6000 77. The error is not complex but can have unexpected consequences. Hence, it is very important to fix it as soon as possible. But, if you can’t find the solution and still face an error, you should consult a QuickBooks Customer Service Department. In that scenario, you can contact us anytime. Our dedicated team of customer support executes is always ready to take your call.