QuickBooks software is highly popular worldwide as it offers top-notch accounting services. But that doesn’t make it entirely free of technical glitches and errors. In fact, the software is quite susceptible to them, and people often search for resolutions for different errors. QuickBooks error C=51 is a common error code that shows that your software could not find the TxList. You can view this error when you are trying to remove the TxList from its list. You can also see it when removing a transaction from a specific report. But don’t worry, there are ways to resolve it. In this article, you’ll find reasons and fixes for this error.
What Is QuickBooks Error C=51?
This error code indicates that your QB cannot find the TxList. As mentioned before, you can encounter it when you are removing TxList from its list but cannot spot it. Whenever this issue occurs, you must shut down your application. Close the windows, including QuickBooks. Then reboot it. This error stops your software from functioning properly. In the following sections, you’ll find some of its triggers and then troubleshooting steps to fix it.
Also Read: QuickBooks Won’t Open
What Causes QuickBooks Error C=51?
Knowing about the different causes of this error will make it simpler for you to troubleshoot the major problem. The following factors can result in error code C=51.
- Any problem with QuickBooks verification. The QuickBooks rebuild error can also result in this problem.
- Damaged company files.
- Corrupt QuickBooks database.
- Issues when updating QuickBooks.
Some Quick Steps to Follow As Soon As You Encounter Error Code C=51
If you do not resolve this error, it can delete important data files. So, it’s necessary to backup your company files. Here are some quick steps to follow whenever you encounter this error code.
- Turn off the QuickBooks desktop.
- End all running windows within the software.
- Restart QuickBooks.
- Repeat this action in which QB C=51 error was received.
- Verify and rebuild data.
Resolutions for QuickBooks Error C=51?
The resolutions can be as simple as updating your QuickBooks to it’s current version to more advanced ones like rebuilding data. You can find detailed instructions on all these methods below.
Update your QuickBooks to it’s current version
It’s the very first step you should take on encountering QuickBooks error code C=51. After you upgrade the software, see if you are still finding this error. Often, QuickBooks’ old version can lead to various problems. So, updating it to its current release can resolve the issue.
Exit every QuickBooks process
It is another method to resolve this particular error code. Follow the steps below.
- Begin by closing every tab in QuickBooks.
- Exit every file related to QB via task manager.
- Now, open QuickBooks again and repeat these steps where you found the error.
- Lastly, rebuild the data in the correct format.
Verify and rebuild data in QB Desktop
This method will be carried out in two steps. The first step is for verifying data, and the second step is to rebuild data.
1. Verify data
- Begin by tapping on the ‘File‘ menu, followed by ‘Utilities.’ Now, choose the option of ‘Verify Data.’
- When you see the ‘QuickBooks detected no problems with the data’ message appearing, you don’t need to carry out any further action.
- If you notice the message ‘Your data has lost integrity,’ it implies that your QuickBooks company file has data damage.
- You should run the rebuild data to resolve the error when you can spot the data damage in the company file.
2. Rebuild data
- Tap the ‘File‘ and ‘Utilities’ tab. Now, choose the ‘Rebuild Data’ option.
- When prompted to back up the company file, tap ‘OK.’
- Now, choose the location where you want to save the backup. Then, press ‘OK.’
- You will see the message ‘Rebuild has completed.’ Tap ‘OK.’
- Run the ‘Verify Data Utility‘ once more to inspect any data damage. Hopefully, you won’t find any error getting detected.
Employ the QuickBooks file doctor tool
You can also resolve QuickBooks error code C=51 with the aid of the QuickBooks file doctor tool. The tool is meant to fix different kinds of error codes that occur in the software from time to time. You can use the file doctor tool through the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Alternatively, you can also download it from the official website of Intuit.
After downloading the QuickBooks file doctor tool, run it. It will detect and fix the error on an automatic basis. Here are the steps you will need to follow:
- Firstly download the File Doctor tool.
- Locate the QuickBooks File Doctor tool after downloading it and then install the software.
- Now check the files that are resulting in this issue.
- Use the File Doctor tool and fix the error easily.
Restore the backup files
Another effective way to get rid of this particular error code is by restoring the backup files. While you restore the backup, ensure that you are using the latest QuickBooks version. Then follow these points.
- After the backup files get restored, press the keys Ctrl + C on your keyboard. Move them to a new folder.
- Verify the size of the file. It must meet the limit. The recommended limit is 6 MB.
- Right-tap on the file and click ‘Properties.’
- If the backup file is below 6 MB in size, it means that it’s an incorrect backup file.
- If it’s the case, you’ll have to make a backup file again.
Inspect network connectivity
This error is often the result of network connectivity problems while your system carries out the downloading process. It hinders the transactions from being downloaded. So, inspect the internet connection before you commence the downloading process.
Attempt to access the deleted or lost transactions
Users are not able to find a list of transactions or any transaction that becomes inaccessible or mistakenly deleted from the QB company file. Accidentally altered or deleted transactions can be seen in the QuickBooks audit trail report. You can retrieve them by typing in the information again. The audit trail report displays every transaction that has been inputted in that specific company file along with the deleted files.
It enables the users to display any historical modifications or changes on the transactions. You can open the audit trail report by following the steps below.
- Firstly, open the ‘Reports’ menu.
- Select ‘Accountant and Taxes.’
- Now, tap ‘Audit Trail.’
- Now, retrieve the transactions that were lost because of a technical glitch.
Often, you may not access transactions, or they may be lost due to numerous technical glitches. If this similar situation occurs, you can attempt to retrieve the lost transactions by using the QB backup file that has the .QBB extension.
Also Read: How to Eliminate QuickBooks Error C=184?
This article will prove quite helpful whenever you encounter QuickBooks error C=51. You can observe that there are so many ways to fix this error code. Keep trying them out, and soon you will find this error gone. However, if it persists, it’s best to contact expert QuickBooks customer services. You can contact them anytime through mail or phone. The QB technicians will diagnose and fix this issue speedily for you.